Reflect the beautiful colours of autumn in what you eat with this super easy and delicious carrot and ginger soup. Besides it’s colour, carrot has a great many properties – it’s a sweet and nourishing vegetable that is perfect for the cooler months. Its high content of beta-carotene is metabolised into Vitamin A which helps enhance vision and it also purifies your blood. The addition of the rosemary and thyme are perfect at building your immunity and their diaphoretic action helps to get rid of fevers fast by inducing sweating. And ginger and turmeric are our go-to agents to help fight any symptoms of colds and flus in our body!
- 2 tsp ghee*
- 5cm piece fresh ginger finely grated
- 2 cups chopped and peeled carrots
- 2 cups water
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- Rosemary & thyme to garnish
* Substitute with safflower or rice bran oil for vegans
1. In a large pot, saute ginger in ghee until soft, about 3-5 minutes.
2. Add carrots and ensure all pieces are coated in ghee.
3. Add water and cover the pot with a lid. Leave on medium high flame for about 20-30mins or until the carrots are tender.
4. Once the carrots are cooked, use a hand blender to puree the carrots to a soup-like consistency. (You can use a food processor or normal blender to do this also).
5. Return the pot to a low flame and add the salt and turmeric powder.
6. Stir well and allow the soup to come to a boil before taking off the heat.
7. Garnish with rosemary and thyme leaves