By doing yoga every day, you’re doing something to promote your health. Implementing this in conjunction with a regular 5:2 digital detox can deeply and positively impact not only your sleep/wake cycle, but also your overall health & well-being. Find out how to effectively link these practices below.
Key points to remember during your tech detox:
- Out of sight, out of mind: Over 40 percent of mobile phone users sleep next to their phone at night, with many actually snuggling up to their device in bed at night. It’s critical to create physical distance with all technical devices during the two days of detox. This light has direct effect on the pineal gland and this is a worry for teenagers.
- Clear boundaries: Set the ground rules and stick to them – no screen time means not checking emails, texting, Facebook or MasterChef.
- Get organised: Make sure to let co-workers, family and friends know ahead of time what you’re doing, otherwise they’ll be concerned you’ve disappeared.
- Head for the outdoors: Disconnecting from social networks doesn’t mean disconnecting completely – instead, go for a hike, a bike ride or a picnic with friends and have real-time conversations.
- Get plenty of sleep: Try to be in bed by 10pm – or at least get eight hours of sleep on the two fasting days. Ayurveda says the body goes into its second phase of digestion and you need to be asleep for this to happen.
- Watch what you eat: For the best results, incorporate the 5:2 diet into the technology diet – so on fasting days try to eat light or vegetarian and stay away from alcohol.