How To Make Moong Bean Soup
The Ayurveda Staple that packs a punch
Like most types of beans and legumes, these mung beans are individual little powerhouses, providing many vitamins, nutrients, and benefits in each bite.
They provide lots of protein in addition to fiber, magnesium, iron, copper, and zinc.
They’re also filled with antioxidants and are great for cholesterol, digestion, and blood sugar.
When it comes to cooking moong beans, pre soaking them over night makes cooking time faster. Just leave the moong beans in a cup of water overnight ready to cook the next day.
Moong Bean Soup Recipe
- 1/4 cup moong beans •
- ½ tablespoon ghee
- 2 pinches hing (asafetida)
- 1 small fresh green chilies finely chopped (Optional)
- ¼ teaspoon cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoons coriander powder
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ¼ tsp cinnamon powder
- 2-3 cloves or ½ tsp clove powder
- 1-4 curry leaves finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon jaggery or rapadura sugar
- salt to taste
- 1 handful of fresh, chopped coriander
- Wash and soak the moong beans in 1 cup of water overnight. Using hot water will speed the cooking process
- . Remove the water from the soaked moong beans, add 1 cup of fresh water, and boil the moong beans on medium heat until the water starts boiling.
- Once the water is boiling, reduce the heat to low, cover the pot with a lid, and let the moong beans cook for 20-30 minutes, until they are soft. (During this time, keep checking the pot to see if there is enough water – you may need to top up the water levels once or twice). If you have a pressure cooker this step is quicker.
- In a small separate pot, heat the ghee on medium heat for 1 minute.
- Add the cumin seeds and green chilies, once the seeds start to crackle, add the asafetida powder, curry leaves, cloves and cinnamon and mix with a spoon.
- Add this spice mixture to the cooked moong beans.
- Keep the moong beans and spiced mixture on low heat.
- Add the coriander powder, turmeric, salt, lemon juice, grated ginger and jaggery.
- Allow the moong beans with spices to come to a boil. Let it boil for 5-10 mins. (The moong should have a soup-like consistency. Add more water if need be)
- Garnish with fresh coriander.
Prep time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 45 mins
© 2020 Healthdynamics360. All rights reserved