• 250g carrots (approx. 2 large carrots), peeled and roughly chopped
• ¼ medium orange sweet potato, peeled and roughly chopped
• ½ onion, peeled and sliced
• 1 clove garlic, peeled
• ½ teaspoon fennel seeds
• The finely grated zest of ½ lemon
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 1 cup vegetable stock, preferably homemade
1. Preheat oven to 200C/400F. Combine all the ingredients, except the vegetable stock, on a large deep roasting tray.
2. Mix well to evenly coat everything in oil/zest/fennel seeds.
3. Roast for 30-35 minutes, turning every 10 minutes or so to prevent burning.
4. When the carrot and sweet potato are soft, remove from the oven and transfer to a blender along with the vegetable stock.
5. Blend on high until smooth. Taste and adjust seasoning.
6. Reheat gently in a large saucepan over low-medium heat.
7. If you prefer a thinner soup simply add more stock, or a touch of water.
Adapted from My Darling Lemon Thyme by Emma Galloway