Can’t get off the couch, suffer allergies and gain weight easily?
15 characteristics you are a kapha Ayurvedic body type
Kapha body types are the masters of love and forgiveness when they are in balance. The kapha dosha is the energy that controls growth in the body. It supplies water to all body parts, moisturises the skin, and maintains the immune system.
If you are a kapha body type and you are out of alignment with your constitution, it can lead to insecurity and envy.
So how do you know if you are a kapha body type in the world of Ayurveda?
Let’s have a look at some of the characteristics:
- Large frame and gain weight easily
- Pale, white skin, lustrous eyes, thick hair, soft but oily skin they age gracefully
- Slow and steady walking pace
- Excellent strength and endurance, you just need to get them off the couch
- Calm, steady disposition
- Slow to start something new, but long-term memory is great
- Steady non-changing moods and not easily irritated
- Very understanding and easy-going
- Sweet, dependable and supportive
- Digestion can be a little slow, but they normally won’t miss a meal as they love food (even if they are not hungry)
- Don’t like damp and cold weather
- Eats slowly
- Saves money regularly and accumulates wealth
- Strong sex drive and a heavy sleeper
- Often retain and hoard things that are necessary or nourishing any more (for example, job, relationships, weight and so on)
KAPHA HEALTH ISSUES
Kapha people are the most loving of the body types and they have an amazing ability to enjoy life and be comfortable with their routine. They have a very strong consititution and when they get sick, they go down hard. But they also recover fast.
When you are out of balance, kapha body types are resistant to change and stubborn.
Here are some other common kapha health concerns:
- Overweight or obesity
- Excessive sleep
- Type 2 diabetes
- Excessive fluid retention
- Excessive mucous, congestion, sinus problems and hayfever
- Joint problems
- Coughs, colds and allergies
How to balance your kapha body type
If you’ve just discovered you are a kapha body type and it is out of alignment, here are some ways to bring it back into balance.
ACTIVITY AND EXERCISE: Get out there and try something new and different, experience new sights and sounds. Get regular exercise: Try running, bicycling, swimming, aerobics and competitive sports. Remember to stay warm and avoid damp areas. It’s best to just put on your shoes and go. I educate all of my Kapha clients that they really need to change their identity around exercise because it’s moving daily that keeps kapha in balance.
FOOD: Increase foods that are pungent, bitter or astringent in taste. Eat warm foods (temperature and spice) and include chilli, black or cayenne pepper, ginger, cinnamon and cumin to your diet. Sipping on ginger tea is one of the main home remedies for all kapha types as it helps to stay in balance. This herb is pungent and sweet, and detoxifies and nurtures as well.
RELAXATION: Follow a regular daily routine. Wake up at 6am and no nanna naps for you, kapha, as this can lead to sinus and foggy head issues. It’s also important that you declutter! Have regular clean-ups and cleanouts in all of your physical spaces.
DAILY RITUAL: Do regular dry-skin brush massages to stimulate circulation. Use an Ayurvedic neti pot or naysa oil every day for nasal cleansing.
WARDROBE: Go for warm and bright colours like yellow, orange, and red.
Get back to great health and start balancing your kapha body type today.